Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, September 22, 2014

Mesothelioma

I'd like to take the opportunity to introduce you to Heather Von St. James...


Heather reached out to me recently and asked me to share her story. As I watched her video and heard her story, I was moved. 

First of all...I'd never heard of mesothelioma, but I have heard of it's cause...asbestos. I remember doing a "problem solving" project on asbestos when I was in elementary school. And back then, so many buildings we spent significant amounts of time in (like our schools) were full of asbestos. 

Secondly...her diagnosis came shortly after her daughter was born. This story tugged at my mama heartstrings.

Thirdly...if I was not aware of this type of cancer, how many others are not aware of it? How could I not share this with you?

Take a few minutes to watch this video and hear Heather share her story.




Some more links for you...

  • Heather's website - HERE
  • Mesothelioma website - HERE


September 26, 2014 is Mesothelioma Awareness Day...I urge you to join with Heather and help spread the news about the dangers of asbestos and the realities of mesothelioma.

Heather...I truly wish you and your family the best. Thank you for sharing your story with me, and educating me about this disease and its causes. Prayers for you and your family, as well as for others who are suffering from and fighting against mesothelioma....

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I never thought about all the children exposed in this way. Did her father get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Heather your question and here was her response...

      "My father actually passed away on February 27, 2014, the day after his birthday, and was diagnosed with kidney cancer in November. They don't know if there was a connection between being exposed to asbestos and his kidney cancer. We'll never know. But, we have our suspicions."

      Delete