Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Monday Manifesto ~ Gratitude


This is the fourth installment in this series. A couple years ago I ran across a list called "a parenting manifesto of joy" on Ann Voskamp's site. It's a beautiful list of essentials when it comes to parenting, and as a homeschooling mom, I desperately need to inhale and exhale and absorb this list. Each Monday, I'll be sharing each idea individually in an attempt to get myself to focus more intently on that idea during the week.



Today, when stress mounts, I pray to dismount it with gratitude.


My stress management plan will be intervention with verbal thanks. 
I can only feel one feeling at a time, and I choose to give thanks at all times. Fight feeling with feeling!

A couple years ago, I began listing and naming everything I was thankful for. It's been a beautiful way to count and name all the blessings God brings into my life each and every day. Even the hard ones. We really can give thanks in all circumstances if we choose to.

Still working on prayer, beauty and no emergencies...

5 comments:

  1. I like that idea. I so need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do...it might seem weird at first (it did for me)...and there are days when you might not think of anything, but it's life changing in that it can create a complete paradigm shift. Even when I go about my day I find myself thinking "I need to write this in my journal later." Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but the fact that I'm thinking gratitude throughout my day is definitely a positive thing.

      Delete
  2. Ah-ha! I just had a revelation from reading your post! For me, writing a gratitude list out by hand is different than doing it on the computer. I found (literally -from the lost pile at church) a very slightly marked up (by a young child, obviously) hard-cover journal. Perfect place to record thanksgivings. It's even lined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a lined journal, too. In the past I had a gratitude journal and just recorded my list. This year I switched to having one big journal for everything. So each day I get a page to write scripture, study notes, quotes and/or what I'm thankful for. I like having it all in one place and it kinda like a diary this way.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! It's so easy to dwell on the messy things, and brush off the things I am thankful for. I can see that the change in attitude could transform life.

    ReplyDelete